Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 63- The Perils of Being Clumsy

I have the unfortunate privilege of being born clumsy. I even got voted as 'The Clumsiest Girl' in my high school graduating class. If there were one thing I wanted to inherit from my Mom, clumsiness was not one them.

One thing I'll always remember is my brother telling me "How can you be so clumsy, when you play the piano so gracefully". Maybe one of the reasons I play the piano is because it is the one thing that I can do gracefully.

I can't tell you how many times I've tripped down the stairs, up the stairs, on a completely flat surface or my own feet or the times I've run into a wall, door or my own car. And no wonder my now deceased cat Buddy always liked my husband better, because I was always tripping over him, stepping on his paws or his tail. Then there are the unusual instances like the time my sister and I were racing home on our bikes and I crashed and she ran over my neck.

I've gotten so many bumps, bruises, burns, cuts, scrapes, and sprains, but surprisingly only broken toes and a finger. Sometimes I don't even realize I've hurt myself, like yesterday when I was bleeding and didn't even realize it until my husband said something. I must have scratched myself somehow and didn't even notice.

I don't usually take care of myself very well when it comes to treating all my scrapes, cuts and burns. So, today I'm going to change that and treat those cuts, scrapes and burns. We'll worry about the bumps, bruises, and sprains later. When I injure myself I'll make sure I treat it with some Neosporin, and protect it, and treat the burn with cool water right away. All the resources I've looked at say you should not treat burns with very cold water or ice. They say it could make the burn worse. They also say you should run a burn under cool water for at least five minutes. For the scar I have on my hand from when I burned myself on the oven a couple of months ago, I'll treat that with some Mederma, and hopefully that will help the scar disappear.

I think it's important to treat any injuries right away no matter how small they are. I'd prefer not to get an infection or have to live with a scar from that injury. So, I will make sure I keep all the necessary supplies on hand, bandaids, neosporin, and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment