Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day 72- Omega-3 for a Healthy Heart

I don't really eat fish very often, because I'm just not a fan of fish. So I know I am missing some important nutrients that my body should be getting. It is reccomended that you eat fish at least two times a week. Fish is a good source of protein and unlike other meat products, it’s not high in saturated fat. I'm lucky if I eat fish two times a year. Fish is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, and because of this I decided to substitute what I'm lacking in my diet by taking omega-3 supplements.

Omega-3 fatty acids help keep your heart healthy, and although we don't have a problem with any heart related problems in my family, that I know of, it is still beneficial. Omega-3 fatty acids can decrease the risk of arrhythmias (abnormal heartbeats). They can also decrease triglyceride levels, slow the growth rate of atherosclerotic plaque, and may slightly help to lower  your blood pressure.

Of course eating fish is still the best option, but for me that is not an option. The only time I have ever eaten fish and enjoyed it was when we went to Alaska. I don't know what it was, but the fish was absolutely delicious. If I lived in Alaska I don't think I'd have any problem eating fish, but I don't, and it is just not something I can force myself to eat. So, I'm left with taking supplements.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your assessment of the fish situation. I can't stand to put it in my mouth after the smell of cooked fish permeates my whole house. I always have wondered about fish from different regions of the United States. That man on TV, the Gordan Fisherman, seems always so happy with his fishsticks -- although, I have never tried them. I always have been concerned that it was simply a marketing ploy and the Gordan's Fisherman is simply a used boat salesman. I think Omega-3 is a good thing, but I don't know about putting acid in my system. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually ended up craving the fish we had in Alaska when we left. It's amazing how different fish tastes in different parts of the world. I think the smell does have a lot to do with it. It completely turns me off from even eating fish.

    ReplyDelete