Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 73- My Teeth (New Toothbrush)

Last night I was brushing my teeth before bed, and for the life of me I couldn't get my toothbrush to turn off. I kept on pushing the power button, but it wouldn't turn off. I banged my toothbrush against the sink, but it wouldn't turn off. And when my toothbrush somehow mysteriously broke in half, it  still wouldn't turn off. I don't know how long I was at it, but it drove me absolutely crazy. Finally in a last ditch effort I pressed the power button on the toothbrush one last time, and it turned off.

I knew it was about to die, because that button has been acting up for the last few days, so I had gone out and gotten myself a new toothbrush, but I still had to use my old one last time, because the new one was charging, and of course it was that last time where it decided to act up the most. Funny thing is when I got home from work today, my husband said that he was in the bathroom, and he heard my old toothbrush buzzing away in the trash can.

I am very good at taking care of my teeth. I brush with my electric toothbrush at least twice a day, making sure I rinse it with warm water both before and after I brush to rinse off any unwanted dust, debris or germs etc. I always make sure I floss everyday and I also use a tongue scraper, and mouthwash. But one thing I don't do as often as I should is replace that toothbrush head when I should.

So today I thought since I have my brand new toothbrush, I'd begin replacing that toothbrush head on a regular basis. You should replace your toothbrush every three months, when the bristles start to wear, or after you get over an illness. Since I tend to forget dates, I wrote the date I need to replace my toothbrush head on my brush head with a Sharpie, and put a piece of clear tape over the date. I put a piece of tape over where I wrote, because I figured the writing would probably wear off. Hopefully the tape won't fall off, otherwise I'll have to figure something else out.

Some reasons why you should change your toothbrush are because it just simply wears out. A lot of times toothbrushes are worn enough to be replaced before they even look worn to the naked eye. The bristles can breakdown and eventually lose their effectiveness. These worn bristles are also a breeding ground for germs and bacteria, and they can cause damage to gum tissue. Replacing my toothbrush head on my toothbrush isn't always the cheapest, but it's much more expensive going to the dentist to get my teeth fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment