Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 278- The Piano

 My piano before it was cleaned. It was pretty dusty 
and had paint splotches all over it.
And all my books were just piled on top.
 Side view. More paint splotches along with dust. 
And the music rack is broken.
 The big surprise when I closed the keyboard case.
 After a very long process, the piano is clean, 
and Beethoven was put back on the piano where he belongs.
The music rack is now fixed. The piano bench was also broken,
 so I had to fix that too.

I got this piano when I lived in Green Bay. I don't remember having it when I went to Missouri or Ohio (I have no idea where it was during those times), but it did somehow make it's way to Virginia where for awhile it was in storage. It also got pretty damaged when it did finally get placed here in our home in Virginia.

It was really dirty, and somehow it got a whole bunch of paint on it. I knew it would be a challenge to clean, so I did what I do best and avoided it. The problem with cleaning a piano (especially one that was in storage for a very long time) is you have to clean each individual key and there are a lot of nooks and crannies that are very hard to get to. As you can also see from the picture the music rack is very detailed. 

To give you an idea of how long it took to clean all you have to do is look at the pictures. In the before pictures it's light out and in the after pictures it's night time. It was completely worth it though. Now every time I walk into our house I don't have to be constantly reminded of the fact that I haven't gotten to this important task. Now all I have to do is get the piano tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment