Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 10- Snacks

Today I did the dreaded grocery shopping, and as I was wandering around aimlessly, looking for what I thought would be my last three items on my list, I decided today would be a good day to cut down on my candy bar intake, and try some new snack ideas.

I am definitely a chocaholic. It is rare to see me without a package of Peanut Butter M&M's, a Kit Kat Bar or whatever kind of candy bar I'm in the mood for that day. There have been two occasions for Christmas when I got not one, but a whole box of candy bars. I'm talking about the boxes the candy bars are displayed in at the store. You know the one's where you're supposed to grab one candy bar not the whole box.

One occasion was a Christmas several years ago when our foreign exchange student was visiting us from Australia. She brought me a whole box of one of my favorite Australian candy bars Violet Crumble. The other occasion was a few years ago when my choir bought me a whole box of Nestle Crunch candy bars.

When I do have my candy bars I never go with the normal size. I always go with the king size, and to give you an idea of how many calories are in those a king size candy bars, a Kit Kat bar has 440 calories while the tear and share size of Peanut Butter M&M's has 420 calories. That's a lot of calories.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely cutting out my candy bars. Not yet anyway, but I'm just going to substitute a healthy or 'healthier' snack into my day. You'll still see me with that candy bar, but you might also see me with something a bit healthier too.

The following are snacks that I have chosen that have less than 200 calories:
  • Baby Carrots
  • Peaches
  • Townhouse Flatbread Crisps
  • Vanilla Yogurt Raisins
  • Sargento Pepper Jack Cheese Sticks
  • Sargento Sharp Cheddar Cheese Sticks
I have even found a website that gave me some good ideas for snacks, and they even have some snacks that incorporate chocolate. Again all of these snacks have less than 200 calories.



No comments:

Post a Comment