Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day 8- Work (to-do-list)

Today was my first day back to work after going to Wisconsin. So, I decided I would do something work related. After much thought and deliberation on my part, I decided I wanted to find a way to make my work day more productive, organized, and more efficient.

I always find that by the time my work day ends, I just don't seem to get everything done that I needed or wanted to get done, but for some reason the day would just get away from me, and I would often end up scrambling and carelessly trying to complete these tasks at the last minute, or the usual case for me would be that I would just end up procrastinating, and telling myself that I would get it done tomorrow or the next day... or the next day... or the next day etc.

In the past I have made a to-do list in the hopes that this would help me to accomplish my tasks, but the problem was I would end up putting too many items on my list, and just like anybody else would do, I would end up going down that list and doing the easy and fun tasks first and ignoring the ones I just don't want to do, but in actuality should have been done first.

So, I developed a plan that actually worked out pretty well for me today. I decided that the first thing I would do when I got to work would be to make a to-do list. Oh wait, but didn't I just say that the to-do list idea didn't work? Well yes I did, but I decided that instead of bogging myself down with a million tasks like I've done in the past, I would put down just five items that I needed to get done, and make sure that I accomplished all those tasks for the day. When I got done I would go back and take a second look and make sure that I did what I needed to get done. If I felt I needed to do more work or practice in my case, since playing the piano/organ and singing are a part of my job, I would go back and work on those a bit more.

At first I didn't think that having only five items on my list would be enough, but as the day continued I realized that a lot of these tasks really take up a lot of time. I think in the future if I end up not being able to complete my five tasks, I'll make sure to put whatever I didn't get done first on the list for the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment