Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 33- Cold/Sinus Infection Prevention

So I've been hearing about a lot of people getting colds and sinus infections. This is a problem for me, because if it's out there I'm going to catch it. I usually begin with a cold and then it turns into a sinus infection, which lasts for weeks. I end up feeling absolutely miserable.

I usually get a sinus infection every few months, so I figured that a little preventative care couldn't hurt. I'm sure I'll still get sick, but maybe my symptoms would at least improve, and last for a shorter amount of time. You know what? I need to be a little bit more optimistic. I'm NOT going to get sick. This IS going to work.

So some of the preventative treatments are tasks that I've already been doing. So I've got a good head start. I've already been drinking water. So, I've got the drink plenty of fluids down, but I think for the next few days I'll increase my intake a bit more. I am also taking my multivitamin, but on top of that I've also added some extra Vitamin C.

I also need to make sure I get plenty of sleep, which is something else I've already been working on. So that's all set. I've also made sure that I've been washing my hands a lot. I always carry a little bottle of hand sanitizer with me too that I use.

Ok, so here's the bad one and the one that's kind of gross too, but if you think about the alternative, getting a sinus infection is even more disgusting. So the method is called sinus irrigation. Yeah, even the name doesn't sound too pleasant, but I must admit that it does help. It is essentially a can of saline solution that you can get at any pharmacy, and you pretty much shoot it up your nose and it clears out your sinuses. As much as I hate it, and as gross as it sounds it really does help. And like I side it's much better than the alternative. So I think I can deal with that one.

I need to make sure that I always keep ahead of the game as far as illnesses go. If I hear of something going around I need to make sure that I'm taking care of myself, and do what I can to help prevent any illnesses. I'm really not doing anything too extreme or out of the ordinary (with the exception of the sinus irrigation), so it's not like this is going to take too much effort on my part. Nobody likes to get sick, so if I can prevent myself from getting sick that will make me a very happy person.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Peggy,
    Have you tried using a netti pot? it's basically the same thing as the nasal irrigation, but a little less harsh since you aren't blasting it up your nose!

    Stay well!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leslie. Haven't heard of a netti pot. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh...I don't like the netti pot, I like the sinus irrigator better. the netti pot seems to get the solution in my eustacion tubes, and then I can't hear right and feel like I'm getting an ear infection (yuckers)...

    ReplyDelete