Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Day 35- Lip Balm

Since I've been using my medicine for my acne, I have noticed that my face has been getting really dry. This can be very annoying. I've also made the mistake of getting the benzoyl peroxide cleanser on a few pieces of clothing, which now have bleach marks because of this mistake. I've learned my lesson with that one... I think.

I have been using what I can for my face by using a moisturizer, and I think it does help a bit. I have decided that today I will give a little help to my lips, which hopefully will help with the dry and chapped lips that has been occurring from my medication. I will regularly use a lip balm, preferably a lip balm with an SPF, which is why I picked up Neutrogena lip moisturizer with an SPF 15.

Your lips are more susceptible to sun damage than any other part of your skin, because they don't produce sebum, which in turn also means it's the most likely place in which you can get skin cancer, which is why I picked a lip balm with an SPF. Aside from a lip balm with an SPF, a lip balm with Vitamin E can also be beneficial.

I also have my own favorites, which I may alternate with the Neutrogena brand. If you're feeling especially crafty you could also make your own lip balm. By making your own lip balm you avoid putting unwanted dyes, petroleum products, and preservatives near your mouth. If your lips are feeling a bit chapped you could also add some peppermint and eucalyptus oil.

Lip Balm Recipe
(makes 2 oz)

1 tablespoon beeswax pearls (pellets or pastilles)
1 tablespoon pure shea butter
2 tablespoons sweet almond butter
10-15 drops of essential oils

Melt the beeswax, shea butter, and almond oil together in a double boiler or in a heat-safe bowl set over a pot of simmering water; stir continuously with a wisk. Once the ingredients have turned to liquid, remove from heat. Whisk in the essential oils. Working quickly, transfer the liquid to a container with a spout (ex. measuring cup) and then divide it among four 1/2 oz lip balm tins. Let balms cool completely until solid, about 20 minutes. Store in a cool, dry place.

No comments:

Post a Comment