Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 52- DIY (Fireplace)

So today I decided to try my hand at another 'do-it-yourself' project. This time it was the fireplace. When I'm sitting in our living room on our couch I'm always looking over at the fireplace, and everything about it drives me crazy. The only thing I liked about my fireplaces were my mermaids.

I didn't really like the brass, but that's more of a personal preference. The fake wood inside of the fireplace was covered in so much dust from all the work that we've had done that it made it look like they were covered in snow. The glass was so incredibly dirty, and there were several scuff marks all over the place.

So I removed the glass and vacuumed the inside out. I cleaned off the glass, which took me forever because of how dirty it was. I spray painted the brass and scuff marks black with paint especially made for places like fireplaces, and I cleaned off the granite. I think I ended up with more spray paint on my hands than on the fireplace, but it still worked out ok.

It didn't go completely as planned. I did have a few issues, especially with the spray painting. When I was done spray painting one of the pieces I accidentally dropped it on the ground, and ended up with dust sticking all over the piece, but in the end it all worked out.

I've realized that I'm not a professional at this kind of stuff so it's not going to be perfect, and I need to be able to accept the fact that it's ok to make mistakes. I need to keep in mind that it's better than before, and I will probably be the only one that will notice my mistakes.

Before
After

No comments:

Post a Comment