Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day 60- Hara Hichi Bu (Eat Until You're 80% Full)

This is one I've read about before, and I thought I'd give it try. Last night my husband and I went out to eat, and by the time we finished I was so full my stomach hurt. It was very good, but I definitely ate way too much than my stomach could handle.

There is a Japanese saying, ' Hara hichi bu'. This means that you should eat until you're 80% full. It takes 15-20 minutes for your brain to decide whether it's still hungry, so if you eat until your 80% full you will be sure to be full in 15-20 minutes.

I think for this one you really have to be in tune to your body. How do you know when your 80% full? Well they say it's right when you begin to feel that first little tiny bit of fullness. I had to think about it when I was eating. It seemed to work out pretty well for me, because 15-20 minutes after eating, I didn't feel like I had overstuffed myself, but I wasn't still hungry either.

No comments:

Post a Comment