Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day 79-My Hair (Deep Conditioning Treatment)

I was blessed with beautiful blond curls for the first three years of my life, but then something happened. My hair began to get straighter, thicker and darker. But I was left with the reminder of that childhood hair with the blond hair by my temples, and two spiral curls by my ears. The rest of my hair never decided if it wanted to go straight or curly. So I was left with waves, but not controllable waves. Everyday I wake up and dutifully dry and then straighten my hair, but I have hair that tends to do whatever it wants. If it wants to fly all over the place, in every direction that's what it will do. It's my hair and it thinks it can do whatever it wants.

My hair tends to get dried out from all that straightening I do, along with all the hair products, and my hair dryer. So I thought I'd do a little deep conditioning treatment. My hair is naturally coarse anyway, and all the hair products that I use probably haven't helped matters.

For deep conditioning your hair, I've read that anything that you leave on your hair for less than five minutes is not considered deep conditioning, so you need a product you can leave on longer. If you're feeling creative or are not finding what you want you could also make your own DIY treatment for you hair by using products found in your kitchen.

If you're looking for moistue and manageability you could try: mashed avocado, mashed banana, mayonnaise, egg, olive oil, sunflower oil, coconut tanning oil, coconut cream, cocoa butter, or honey. Just massage a small amount of one these products or a combination of these into your damp hair, cover with a shower cap and let sit for 20-30 minutes. Just make sure that you wash it out completely, and then follow with your normal shampoo.

One thing to remember is it's your hair, and you know what will work and what won't work. Everybody's hair is different. I know how unmanageable my hair is, and I know what it needs.

Here are some additional recipes I found for treating your hair:

Deep Conditioning Avocado Hair Mask
1 medium sized avocado, mashed with a fork
1/2 cup mayonnaise (full fat)
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons olive oil


 Shine Enhancing Banana Honey Hair Mask
1 medium sized banana, mashed with a fork
2 tablespoons honey
1 egg, beaten
4 tablespoons natural, unflavored yogurt

No comments:

Post a Comment