Friday, November 5, 2010

Day 80- Clean the Microwave

Our microwave has been ignored for way too long. I can't seem recall the last time it was cleaned. I know that's kind of gross but it's just one of those things that tend to get overlooked. I realized that I just couldn't ignore the microwave any longer. So once again I turn to a cleaning task. Our house really isn't as messy as I make it sound. There are just those few tasks in our house that I tend to ignore; items that don't get as much attention as needed. The microwave just happens to be one of those items, along with the bathroom, floor, windows, kitchen, etc.

Cleaning the microwave was actually pretty easy. All I did was put a bowl of water with lemon wedges in the microwave. The lemons were used to clear up the smell in the microwave. I set the microwave for four minutes, and let it sit for fifteen minutes to let the steam build up. The steam helped to loosen up all the food and junk, which made wiping down the microwave a lot easier and a lot quicker.

There are other possibilities to controlling the smell aside from lemon. The lemon just worked out the best for me. Some of these other possibilities are orange wedges, lime wedges, vinegar, baking soda, and vanilla. The lemon wedges worked out so well that I just may do that every once in a while just to freshen up the microwave. I did also keep the door open for a little awhile to air it out, and I believe that also helped.

The lesson that I've learned from todays task is to always cover your food. We do have a plastic cover that's meant to be used in the microwave to cover your food, but until now it just sat on the top of the microwave. I'll make sure to use it from now on, and then just rinse it off after each use. I believe I'll be more inclined to use that cover if I keep it inside the microwave, instead of on top of the microwave, that way it will be the first thing I see when I decide to cook something.

No comments:

Post a Comment