Saturday, November 13, 2010

Day 88- Play the Piano




Prelude Tragique, by Leo Ornstein. Played by me at my graduate piano recital.The picture is of my husband and me in Scotland.
I couldn't figure out how to download just an audio file.
I had to make it into a movie.

What's the significance of the number 88? For those who don't know the answer to this question, the answer is that there are 88 keys on a piano. What better day than 'Day 88' as the day I choose to play the piano as my task.

Playing the piano may seem like an odd task for me to do, but many people don't realize the only time I play the piano is at work, and always music related to work. While I love my job, sometimes I need to play music that has nothing to do with my job. I need to just sit down and play the piano for the pure enjoyment of playing the piano. I need to sit down and play some Beethoven or even Lorie Line. 

Not only will this give me back one of the greatest hobbies I've ever had, a hobby that makes makes me happy, but working on classical music helps improve my technique, helping me play better for the music I need to learn for work. 

I have always loved playing the piano every since I started playing at 13. I played the piano before I was 13, but it was at 13 when I began to take lessons, learning how to play the piano properly. I think my parents just got sick of my attempts at playing, and decided it was time for me take lessons.

One of the fondest memories I had growing up was playing Christmas duets with my mom. I'd always complain, but deep down I really enjoyed those moments we had. Perhaps the most frustrating moment was when my parents would tell me to stop practicing. Yes, I definitely liked to practice, and I think I may have driven them crazy, especially when I'd play the same thing over and over again. 

So, I will spend a little time at the piano a few days a week, having fun, and not worrying about whether I have to get a piece down by a specific time. I will just sit and play, doing something that has always made me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment