Friday, December 17, 2010

Day 122- Keep Myself Warm in the Winter

Technically it's not winter, but it sure feels like it. I know Virginia doesn't get nearly as cold as my home state of Wisconsin, but it seems as though the weather is already much colder in Virginia than it has been in the past.

I don't seem to handle the cold very well. I am constantly feeling cold throughout the day. I have decided to come up with  few things that will keep me as warm as possible. When my body is cold or hot I get so tense and it seems to cause stress on my body, and it can even end up making me sick.

So what can I do to help out with this issue? First, instead of wearing one big sweater, wear layers. There are several benefits to wearing layers. Wearing thin layers on top of each other holds in the warm air, but it can also help if you get too warm, because you can just take off a layer. Of course the type of material clothes are made from helps too. Clothes made out of cotton or wool will help keep in that warmth.

I will also make sure I don't wear my summery shoes. I just love my ballet flats, but I noticed when I wore them recently my feet were really cold. It also didn't help that I stepped in a puddle, and my feet were wet the entire day. Maybe I should keep an extra pair of shoes in my car, because that hasn't been the first time I have stepped in a puddle. My feet tend to gravitate towards those puddles.

So the summer shoes will go away and I'll bring out the shoes which can be worn with a nice thick pair of socks. If I get cold at night I could also wear my socks to bed to keep my feet warm, but I usually don't get cold at night. We usually have several layers of blankets, which help to keep me warm.

There are some obvious choices for when I'm going outside too. Dress in a nice warm coat. Wear a hat, scarf and mittens; gloves are fine too, but mittens keep you much warmer.

This is also the time of year to drink more hot drinks. Perhaps I should drink more tea or a nice cup of hot cider or even some hot chocolate. Making more soups is also a nice idea. I have a few months now where I need to keep myself warm, so I might as well make sure I get this one going, and hopefully it will help relax me a bit and release some of that tension I feel from the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment