Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 248- Vitamin C

Today I decided I really need to have more Vitamin C in my diet. I did get a daily supplement, but I also want to be able to incorporate it into my food. It would be nice if I got to a point eating so healthy that I wouldn't have to take all of my supplements, such as my multivitamin, calcium and Omega-3 (yeah I'm not going to be eating more fish, so this is one supplement that will have to stay with me).

As far as Vitamin C goes I know there are a lot of foods that I like that contain Vitamin C so I don't think this one will be too hard to incorporate using actual food. So what are the benefits of Vitamin C? Well if you don't get enough, which is my case, you are more susceptible to skin bruising, bleeding gums, poor healing of wounds, loosening of teeth, tender joints and infection. I think the only ones I don't have are the ones pertaining to my teeth, because remember I got a clean bill of health from my dentist.

The recommended amount is 60 mg for your average person, but that can change depending on several things, but I won't go into those. It is also possible to have too much Vitamin C; you don't want have any more than a 1000 a day (I don't think I have to worry about that).

Following are some of the foods that contain Vitamin C:

  • Strawberries
  • Papaya
  • Kiwi
  • Orange
  • Orange juice (I don't know why, but I'm not a big fan of orange juice)
  • Cantaloupe
  • Mango
  • Grapefruit (I always loved grapefruit growing up, but I always put a lot of sugar on it. So that may not be a good one for me)
  • Grapefruit Juice (Again unless it has a lot of sugar I don't think this will work)
  • Pepper (red or green)
  • Broccoli
  • Kale (Yuck! Definitely not for me, but my husband likes it)
  • Brussel Sprouts (Nope! Not going to happen)
  • Snow Peas
  • Potato (Love them, but I'm trying to cut down on those guys)

No comments:

Post a Comment