Friday, September 6, 2013

God's Plan For Me

When I first moved to Virginia playing for a Catholic church was not a part of my plan, but I  have come to realize it was a part of God's plan for me. It was what I was meant to do. I am a person of few words and many times when I speak I speak quietly and my words tend to get a little jumbled, but music has always been the language I speak with utmost clarity.

My average work day usually consists of me at my computer planning liturgies, planning rehearsals, finding new music etc. or in the church practicing. I do get suggestions for pieces, but for the most part it's my job to find music that fits the readings and is appropriate for Mass. It is not unheard of for me to spend several hours in search of one single piece.

Of course the most important part of my job is the Mass itself and before Mass even begins I am out there playing my prelude music. That is when I prepare myself and my soul for Mass. The music I play before Mass is always my own rendition of some standard hymn that expresses what I'm feeling at that moment. When I have a cantor who is late, equipment malfunctioning, rehearsal runs over or whatever emergency may arise before Mass that prevents me from playing my prelude, it throws everything off. My prelude is essentially my prayer before Mass and is very important to me.

When Mass begins I am completely and utterly immersed in the service and my music makes me feel an even stronger connection to God. I play with utmost care and and I put my whole soul into what I play. Playing a piece 'well' is not good enough for me. It needs to be perfect. Every note I play, every note I sing is important. Music can be very powerful and prayerful; the right song and how it is played or sung can have a huge impact on the liturgy and the people and their relationship with God.

I love that God moved me in this direction in my life. Music and my relationship with God are very important to me and I am glad to have this opportunity to bring these important parts of my life together.


No comments:

Post a Comment