Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Day 22- Kitchen Cabinets

We've been living in our house for a few years now. It was definitely a fixer upper when me moved in, and still is. But then last year, to make things worse, we had a Nor'easter and we ended up having a lot of damage to our house, which added on to the projects that we already had to do to our house.

So, I have decided that I'm going to take on some 'do it yourself' projects to make our house seem more like a home rather than just a house. So, my first 'do it yourself' project was to refinish our kitchen cabinets. They were looking kind of drab, and needed some work. So I ended up getting some Minwax Tung Oil Finish. On the can it says that it 'restores richness and vitality to wood'. I must say that I agree. I can't believe how much better our kitchen cabinets look, and I did it all by myself, which I think is pretty impressive if I do say so myself.

One thing that I realized with this task is that some of my tasks are going to be things that I can't get done in one day. For this project I had to put on one coat, and then let it dry for 24 hours and then put on another coat. Then after that there were the parts that I needed to touchup. So, I've decided that what ever task I do it can't be my 'task of the day' until I complete it. I think that makes sense.

I was thinking it would be a lot tougher than it was to do this project, and I was afraid that something would happen and I'd end up making it look worse. But then I realized that sometimes you've just got to go for it. I think the 'just go for it' attitude I had for this task is something that can be used for different areas of my life as well. I can't always be afraid of doing things, because I'm afraid that I will fail. Sometimes you've just got to go for it, and whatever happens, happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment