Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 76-Eat Nuts/Seeds

Since I cut out some more of my candy yesterday, I thought today would be the perfect day to add nuts/ seeds to my diet. I include both nuts and seeds, because essentially nuts are seeds. There are many benefits to eating nuts, so it's a perfect next step to take in my diet.

Nuts can help in the prevention of heart disease. Also, the antioxidants present in nuts can help fight some forms of cancer. Nuts can also help fight depression and are helpful in preventing insomnia. They can help boost your immune system and are a great soucre of protein, Vitamin E, zinc, Calcium and Magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, selenium, copper, thiamin, fiber etc. There are so many benefits to eating nuts, and every place I looked had different benefits, so it's impossible for me to list them all.

Just because nuts are healthy for you doesn't mean you should be eating them by the handful. Moderation is the key. A small handful is plenty. I wrote 'small' handful, because if you're anything like me and you just see handful your bound to fit as many as humanly possible in your hand. Nuts are still higher in calories, but they are an important part of your diet so they shouldn't be avoided. In fact nuts are actually good for weight loss. The fat and fiber content in nuts actually make them incredibly filling and so people  tend to not overeat them. Nuts and seeds also taste good when you roast them in the oven for a short time. Just turn the oven on to 350 degrees, and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment